TABERNAS III REPOSADO
In order to provide excellent quality raicilla at an approachable price, we got creative. Esteban, the founder of La Venenosa, found a producer who had been holding a large batch of amazing raicilla for many years and was happy to sell it at a special price. We realized that we could continue to find opportunities like this by batch hunting at different tabernas, which is the local name for distilleries and a very fitting name for these expressions.
30% Chico Aguiar (A. Angustifolia) & 70% Lechugilla (A. Maximiliana)
El Mosco, Sierra Occidental
Above ground adobe / black oak
Wild fermented in tomba (with bagasso)
2x in alembic of stainless steel and copper (with bagasso)
99 days in first fill 500L Dios Baco Oloroso Sherry cask
Aroma – maple, oxidised wine, spiced apple
Taste – oak, roasted canela, lemongrass
Texture – round, medium, tannic finish
Varies by batch
Using both coa and axes is common here.
Above ground ovens made from adobe are used for many raicillas from the Sierra Occidental mountains south of Tequila.
Agave Maxamiliana makes up about 70% of Tabernas III. The other 30% is Angustifolia, known in this case as Chico Aguiar.
A small mechanical mill is used to chop up the cooked agave to prepare for fermentation.
Fermentation in tomba, or large plastic barrels.
Stainless steel alembic still with copper condensation coils.